Our Expert Advice On How To Relieve Dry Mouth
Dry mouth is sometimes referred to as xerostomia and experts say that it is usually caused by inadequate function of the salivary glands. It can increase due to medication or poor oral health.
An individual with dry mouth typically finds it harder to enjoy food and is what usually causes oral health problems such as decays and gum issues when the patient, for example, uses dentures, as this condition affects the fit of the dentures.
It is a common problem as people get older, it is also a frequent side effect of medication. This may improve with a new prescription or an adjustment of dosage.
How to get relief:
- Sip water regularly.
- Use alcohol free mouthwashes as they help moisten the mouth.
- Chew sugar-free gum or suck on sugar-free hard candies to stimulate the flow of saliva.
- Use dry mouth gel.
- Limit your caffeine intake because caffeine can make your mouth drier.
- Stop all tobacco use if you smoke or chew tobacco.
- Try a mouthwash designed for dry mouth, which also offers protection against tooth decay.
- Breathe through your nose, not your mouth.
- Add moisture to the air at night with a room humidifier.
If you have any other questions you can also give us a call on 01 455 1866, our staff will be happy to help.
Dental Tech Denture Clinics
DUBLIN – Whitehall House, Terenure, Dublin 6W – Call 01 4551866
WEXFORD – The Whitemill Medical Centre, Wexford – Call 053 9192999
WATERFORD – Waterford Health Park, Waterford – Call 051 365999
KILDARE – Vista Primary Care, Naas, Kildare – Call 01 4551866