The importance of the Oral cavity during the infection of SARS-CoV-2
There is more evidence of the relation between the oral cavity and the rest of the body. The mouth is not isolated. The Oral health is tightly related to the general health. On one hand, there are pathologies in other parts of the body that have repercussions on the oral cavity, like diabetes, for example with a higher risk of periodontal diseases and caries, amongst others.
On the other hand, there are pathologies and oral disorders that have consequences on our quality of life, like xerostomia, hypersensitivity or halitosis. Not only that, there is more scientific evidence of the relation between periodontitis with more than 50 systemic pathologies like cardiovascular diseases (heart attack, stroke), diabetes, adverse results during pregnancy ( premature birth, underweight babies, preeclampsia) or respiratory diseases ( EPOC, pneumonia) increasing the risk of development or worsening such diseases. Recently, it’s been proven that people with periodontitis and COVID-19 have up to 9 times more risk of mortality than those people without periodontitis.
That’s why, at certain times of higher risk of these infections, such as the current situation with the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s important to take every preventive measure as we can. Including using face masks, keep social distance with other people and washing hands regularly, this we know but it’s highly advisable to increase the Oral Health measures you take like flossing, professional teeth cleaning.
For those who are sharing a bathroom, where you are completing your oral hygiene routine, make sure to use a disinfectant wipe on the taps and in the sink BEFORE and AFTER you start brushing or flossing or rinsing to make sure you have reduced risk of cross infection
At Dentaltech, we have a team of highly skilful and dedicated dentists that can check your gums and teeth in a safe environment.
Did you know that the mouth is the path of entry of different microorganisms that can produce infections?
The oral cavity plays a very important role in the infection of SARS-CoV-2. The mouth has receptors of coronavirus that allow it to anchor and reproduce itself. So, the mouth has to be considered as a High-Risk factor for the development of this virus.
Preventive measures in the oral cavity.
Use mouth washes and tooth paste with CPC. Cetylpyridine Chloride (CPC) in studies in vitro e in vivo has been proven to have the ability to degrade viruses with a lipid wrap, similar to the one presented by coronavirus and in a clinical practice trial to have a possible preventable effect against the infection of virus such as influenza, rhinovirus and coronavirus.
To have a good oral health is advisable to brush the teeth and to gargle with products that contain Cetylpyridine Chloride.
Cetylpyridine Chloride (CPC) is an Oral antiseptic that offers effective protection.
Don’t forget to clean your tongue.
It’s fundamental the hygiene of the tongue on a daily basis for the removal of lingual covering, which contains bacteria, viruses and loose epidermal cells. In addition, coronavirus infection depends on the level of anchorage from the virus to their specific receptors, which are located in high density on the oral tissues.
Don’t forget to clean your tongue, because it accumulates large quantities of oral pathogens.
Extreme the hygiene measures of your tooth brush.
The bristles present a perfect scenario for the proliferation of oral pathogens, especially when the environment is wet and little aerated. Change the tooth brush or head in case of electric brushes after being infected to prevent contagion or relapse. Always use a brush with an aerated cup.
Replace your brush and choose one with a perforated cup to prevent and avoid the proliferation of pathogens.
Interproximal cleaning for a 100% complete hygiene.
The tooth brush is the basic our daily oral hygiene but it only reaches 60% of the tooth surface. What happened with the other 40%?. That is the interproximal area and it’s where the oral biofilm accumulates, which causes the main oral pathologies, like caries, gingivitis and halitosis.
Cleaning between the teeth ensures a 100% complete oral hygiene.
Article by Mario Viveros, Clinical Dental Technician at Dental Tech Group
Please phone first as pre-screening is essential for the protection, health and welfare of our team Our Phone lines will be open from 8.30am to 5.30pm for any enquiries or support you may need!
Dental Tech Denture Clinics
DUBLIN – Whitehall House, Terenure, Dublin 6W – Call 01 4551866
WEXFORD – The Whitemill Medical Centre, Wexford – Call 053 9192999
WATERFORD – Waterford Health Park, Waterford – Call 051 365999